Welcome to the Harvest of the Month Educators Corner a place where educators can access additional tools and resources to help students get even more out of Harvest of the Month. Click on the links in the above chalkboard to find these valuable resources:
- Adventurous Activities Find all activities from the educator newsletters and additional ones too in one convenient location.
- Student Sleuths Get answers to all of the Student Sleuths here.
- Literature Links – Search from an expansive list of available literature for primary and secondary school students.
- Nutrition Education Survey (NES) The Network created the Nutrition Education Survey (NES) to assess the impact of nutrition education delivered to primarily 4th-8th graders. The NES is a modular tool that contractors can customize to fit the specific nutrition education activities implemented.
- Harvest of the Month Survey– This survey from the California Nutrition Network for Healthy, Active Families can also be used to assess the impact of nutrition education, focusing specifically on measuring student’s knowledge after they have participated in Harvest of the Month.
- Content Standards Identify links between Harvest of the Month activities and the California Content Standards. These Links demonstrate how Harvest of the Month activities support the key curricular areas of health, English-language arts, science, history-social science, mathematics and physical education for grades K-12. For the early childhood audience connections have been made to the Desired Results for Children and Families 3 years through Prekindergarten, CDE and Prekindergarten Learning and Development Guidelines CDE.
- Glossary Find basic definitions for nutrition and health terms used in the educator newsletters.
- Web Links Connect with other Web sites that contain useful information for educators, students and families.
- Support Materials Use these materials, found on the How to Grow Healthy Students Guide, to help with the implementation of classroom and cafeteria activities, such as taste testing, classroom cooking and school gardening. Also included are fact sheets and general program information to help gain external support and interest for your program.
Images & Graphs
- Nutrition Facts Labels Download full size Nutrition Facts labels for each of the featured produce items. Use these learning tools in a variety of classroom activities.
- Botanical Images Access the printable botanical image diagrams featured in the How Does It Grow? section of the educator newsletters. Images can be utilized in class to familiarize students with various plant parts.
- Nutrient Graphs (from CDE’s Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Photo Cards) – Use these printable bar graphs in classroom activities to help students learn more about the nutrient values of the featured fruit or vegetable. Each card contains a detailed nutrient analysis based on a specified serving size and a map highlighting the geographic region where the fruit or vegetable is grown. [Reprinted by permission from the California Department of Education, CDE Press, 1430 N Street, Suite 3207, Sacramento, CA 95814.]
- Recipes Find more classroom-friendly recipes featuring Harvest of the Month fruits and vegetables in this section.
Complementary Materials (Partner-Developed)
- Translated Newsletters Find translated family newsletters and menu slicks in a variety of languages.
- Extension Resources Use these workbooks, study sheets and handouts to integrate Harvest of the Month into the classroom and cafeteria.